“Tell the world what you intend to do, but first show it”Napoleon Hill
The Path To Success And How To Reach It : After speaking at a private closed door mastermind in Costa Rica we recorded a video sharing a story within a story from the book Three Feet From Gold by Sharon Lechter and Greg S Reid. Two reasons. ONE we love storytelling and it’s been pivitol in our entrepreneurial success and TWO there’s so much to learn from hearing the stories of others… and sometimes we just need that all important reminder!
This video is our spin on the story entitled “Stop Overplanning” from Three Feet From Gold where Truett Cathy tells Greg “whatever you do you have to have a goal, a destination in mind. Once you set your sights on where you are going, just move toward that direction, have faith that you will get there, and the ‘how’ will work itself out”. That setting a plan or a goal is all well and good but don’t stick to a specific plan because you may miss unexpected opportunities around you (that might help you get there faster!)
Having a destination in mind, move towards it, then seek opportunities to assist you along the way.
That’s what our video The Path To Success : Finding The Right Vehicle is all about
- Hi, it’s Chris and Susan and this morning we came out onto the beach here in Costa Rica, so we walked over to our favourite log where we like to sit here and just watch the sea and enjoy ourselves and what did we find? We find a bike parked by a log and we thought what the heck is that doing there and in actual fact, since then there’s been another one that’s just appeared. So, the question was, what are these bikes being parked on a log on a beach that’s virtually deserted in Costa Rica? And because the second one appeared, we actually now know the answer. The answer is because this is where all the fishermen come. All the local fishermen come and they come to fish in the sea over here and they take their catch to market, just the local market up the road here and they do it and they ride down here on their bike, park their bikes here, go and do their fishing and then bring their catch back, put them in their basket and ride off to.
- It’s a very simple life but it’s the life that they’ve chosen but the reason we wanted to share this with you and it’s just very, very coincidental, is because earlier this week when we were here in Costa Rica, we were in a closed-door private mastermind and we were each of us six, seven, eight-figure earners all sharing our particular strategies and ways that we built our business and Chris and I were sharing the magic of storytelling because that’s the way we built our business ever since we came online six years ago and we quite often mention and we did on that occasion as well, a book that we read called Three Feet from Gold by Sharon Lechter and Greg S. Reid and it’s got a great story in there that Chris always refers to and we want to share that with you because I think it will help you understand some of the things you might need to know as you build your entrepreneurial success in any niche that you’re in.
- So, the story basically is about getting from A to B. And “A” being where you are now and “B” being where you want to go and in the book, they share a story about getting to the end of the street. And so, our little friend, he opens the front door and he looks up and down the street and he knows that the end of the street is to the left. So, he turns left and starts walking. He starts walking towards his target which is the end of the street. Now, as he’s walking along the road, he sees that one of the local children who’d been playing out in the road have left a skateboard on the pavement, so he thinks ah, that looks like fun, I’m going to borrow that just for a little while because it’ll help me get towards my target a little bit quicker and so, he jumps on the skateboard and starts skateboarding down the road, so of course instead of walking now, he’s actually rolling on a set of wheels, he’s going a little bit faster. And then one of his neighbours sees him and he’s driving down the road in his car and he stops and he winds down the window and he says, “hi, where are you off to? I don’t often see you on skateboard” and he said “well, no, I’m just trying to get to the end of the street. And I saw this skateboard and I thought it would help”. And the neighbour says to him, “well, if you’re trying to get to the end of the street, I’m going to the end of the street, if you’d like to leave your skateboard there, jump in the car and I’ll take you”. So, he’s now got a major, major vehicle, a major advantage in getting to the end of the street quicker. And of course within a few minutes he’s at the end of the street. So, what’s the moral of the story? Well, the moral of this story is that if you’re starting out as an entrepreneur, and you know where you want to get to, so you know your first target, it might be to get a certain a number of leads, it might be to make a certain number of sales, it might be to earn a certain amount of money, it really doesn’t matter whatever your goal is and starting out as an entrepreneur, you don’t always know exactly how you’re going to get there and that’s certainly true for us. We know where we want to go but you don’t know all of the steps that you need to get there but you do know the next step and so, that’s the point, is you take the next step and you start doing those steps because you know they’re moving you towards your goal. And then as you’re moving along because you’re an entrepreneur and you’ve got an open mind, you see something on the side of the road, i.e. the skateboard, and you think wow, if I used that, I could get to my goal even quicker. And so, you use the skateboard or whatever other resource that you find, whatever other person you meet who might be able to help you and then the same for the car. One of your neighbours comes along to help you, so that might somebody you meet an event, it might be one of your mentors reaches out to you and says “hey, I’ve seen this and I think by you doing this, it’s going to help you achieve your goal a lot quicker” and so, that’s the whole point of the story that on your journey, when you start, you don’t know how you’re going to get there necessarily but you do know the first step and you’re always on the look out for the things that are going to help you get there quicker.
- And that’s what we love about our business. We want to put in front of you the ways that will help you get to where you want to be faster than if you were working on your own. Now, if we were presenting this from stage, I’d treat you with a little journey on a skateboard and trust me, I’ve done that. And that was very funny but definitely wouldn’t work here on the sand although we might try it with a surfboard, Chris, don’t your reckon?
- I don’t know about that. I’ve done surfing, I’ve done it once, I’ve achieved it, I’m not going back again.
- We hope that this valuable piece of training will help you in your business. Think about the different vehicles that you can use that people share with you that can help you get from A to B faster than if you were working on your own. Thanks for watching and we’ll see you in another video.
You can read the book Three Feet From Gold here : https://amzn.to/2HFMeRw
Thanks for joining us here and hope you found it useful – do leave us a comment and let us know 🙂
Who Are We
We’re former accountants of a certain age with 5 great kids, 4 grandchildren and a cat named Vincent. We love skiing, the mountains and traveling the world and have achieved a fabulous life helping others to start and build a successful business online and now speak on international stages following our passion. Our business is centered on online marketing, financial and business education for boomers and seniors. You can find out more and ways to work with us here